Since the introduction of macOS Sierra, TunnelBear has had a number of updates to get things working right:
- 3.0.4 which is the current version
All these updates slowed my Bear to a crawl. I contacted support 3 times with no meaning full help for resolving my problem. As I write this I’m waiting for support to get back to me again.
After some trial and error, of my own, I concluded there had to a problem with the app and not my wifi connection speed or ISP. I came to this conclusion because TunnelBear was working perfectly on my iPhone using the same wifi connection.
So. As a last result I decided to uninstall the app and do a clean install. I deleted the app using a Mac utility AppCleaner by FreeMacSoft. AppCleaner will find and delete all the files and folders originally installed by TunnelBear. Then I did a new download of the TunnelBar app and did a clean install. Like magic my problem was solved. TunnelBear is again working at full speed. I’m guessing that something got corrupted with all the recent updates.
I hope this has been helpful.